RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J. – A group of Ridgefield Park residents is looking for a few green thumbs or a few people just willing to get their hands dirty.
Each spring and fall, residents collectively known as the Village Gardeners gather to plant flowers in various planters along Main Street, the Teaneck Road and Ridgefield Avenue neighborhood business districts and other areas of the village.
The group is calling for volunteers wishing to help in their efforts to “keep Ridgefield Park beautiful” this spring, summer and fall.
The Village Planters will be meeting soon to plant flowers capable of handling the cold temperatures that tend to linger during the early part of the spring. In the middle of May, the group will meet again to plant flowers that should last through the summer months.
The volunteers also will work throughout the summer to keep the flowers watered and replace the plants as needed. In October, as the fall rolls around, the group intends to meet again to plant autumn flowers, ornamental kale and cabbage.
Each of the main planting sessions is expected to take place on a Saturday last about two hours, according to organizers.
The group is open to any and all volunteers. No experience in gardening or planting is necessary, but volunteers should bring their own work gloves, trowel and a watering can or pail.
Those looking to get involved should contact Village Gardeners Commissioner John Anlian at email@example.com.
Those unable to attend the main planting events can still help by volunteering their personal time to plant.
Those areas where planting is to take place include:
- 16 planters in the Main Street Business District
- 10 planters in the neighborhood business districts
- In front of the municipal building
- In front of the sign at Frank White Park (Mt. Vernon Street & Railroad Avenue)
- In front of the Welcome to Ridgefield Park sign at First Street & Central Avenue
- In front of the Welcome to Ridgefield Park sign at So. Main Street & the Main Street by-pass
- In front of the Ferris Park sign at the comer of Ridgefield Avenue & South Main Street
- Other selected locations and parks
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.