RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J. -- A Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge shipped by Ridgefield Park-based Samsung Electronics exploded and caught fire in a man's pants, seriously burning him, a lawsuit that seeks $15,000 in damages alleges.
The plaintiff, Daniel Ramirez of California, said he was working at a construction job in Akron, Ohio in late May when he noticed the smart phone that he bought at a Best Buy store back home in Modesto two months "vibrating and moving around, as well as thick smoke ascending from his pocket," the suit filed in Hackensack says .
He burned his fingers trying to pull it out, before the phone exploded, burning through his boxer shorts and pants "and engulfing Mr. Ramirez's leg in flames," the complaint alleges.
Ramirez sustained second-degree burns to his right thumb and index finger and second- and third-degree burns to his upper right leg, it says, adding that he underwent a skin graft, the suit says .
Samsung announced Monday that it had stopped production of its Galaxy Note 7 following report that the devices were igniting.
This follows a recall nearly two months ago of 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 phones amid battery fire reports -- including an incident that forced the evacuation of a passenger airliner.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.